Thursday, December 1, 2016

Why I quit school? 

8 months back, I left school after writing my 8th-grade final exams. A tough and a very well thought out decision, that I had been planning since weeks. Several people told me that I was being stupid. I didn’t pay heed to those negative comments and instead focussed on what matters to me. Nobody understood what homeschooling meant since it is a relatively new thing in India. 
I was lucky to have people who supported me throughout in taking my biggest educational decision. 
The question everyone had in their minds (including me) was :
“Why are you leaving school?” and “What do you intend to achieve in life?”
Those questions had a deep and philosophical answer. 
First, why I quit school? 
People made assumptions like I was being bullied, or I couldn’t handle academics, or I was scared of high school or I just wanted to stay away from all the unnecessary competition at school.
ANSWER- None of the above
It was because I wanted more time to explore my interests. I wanted to get rid of all the negativity at school. I had to study subjects I don’t like. I didn’t want to cram anymore. I wanted to escape the prison-like environment that created restrictions on what I could do. Tests every other day…Ugh. Why? If I wish to focus more on say, developing my social skills at a time, why should I practice quadratic equations at the same time just so that I can get an A+ on the ‘test’?
I noticed the amount of learning I could do in summer and other holidays by studying on my own rather than attending lectures in a room full of 40 uninterested students. 
I knew the flaw here. I wanted to control my education. Instead of being a jack of all trades, I wanted to be a master of one skill. And, that skill was Business and Entrepreneurship. I loved management, leadership, technology, and programming. I decided what could be the best option for me — HOMESCHOOLING
While a relatively new thing in India, I had read about it. I started some more research, contacted dozens of people (strangers) on Quora to guide me. I got replies. And along the way, I made new friends. I learned how much people are willing to help you. I understood the details and made plans for myself. I enrolled at a homeschool “Chashak Gurukul”. 
Whoa! That was a long journey, full of confusion, doubt, anxiety, questions, fear, and more importantly, curiosity and excitement of trying new things. 
Fast forward today, after almost 8 months of leaving school, I am here writing how happy I am after taking this big decision. 
I have learned tons of things! I have completed online courses, read books, learned to program (my superpower), and other skills too. I strengthened my relationships, networked with people, started writing more and tons of more exciting things. 
Now, I realize that I was being devoid of so many amazing opportunities at school. The school was just not worth the time and effort. 
However, this decision did rob me of some opportunities and experiences. I was on the editorial board of a school magazine “Roots to Wings”, head of Computer Animation club, events organizer, winner of every debate and declamation contest, the member of an awesome CS group called GEMS, etc. I miss some good teachers (especially my CS teacher). But, the disadvantages of continuing school clearly outweighed the advantages. 
I think it was one of the best decisions I ever took. 

Now, next question. What do I intend to do in the future?

Well, I am quite certain that I will be founding more Internet-based companies in the future. I intend to apply for the Thiel Fellowship for one of them. That’s my long term goal. Turn my ideas into reality (oops, apps). 
What about college?
No. I don’t want to attend college. Entrepreneurship can surely be taught, but not for credits. I will be an entrepreneur forever. No academics ever again. 
So, what’s my message to young schoolchildren out there?
Please read the post once again and think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment